Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Death of Romance?

Recently, I joined an online dating website as my mother thought it was a good idea. She would say, “look at the couple in the commercial, they seem to be in love”. Typically, she is right about her ideas…but now she and I both are ruing the day that I joined. We now have a good laugh at some of the “matches” that I am paired up with.
Today I received a profile of a man who clearly doesn’t know what to say to impress a lady or anyone. In the section of ones profile there is a portion which allows you to write about a person who has had an influence on their life. Most people opt to discuss a particular family member or friend who has made a positive impact. Well, this gent decided to chat about a stranger that he met in a doctor’s office. The story goes as follows:

One day in a doctor's office, I was pretty down. When a women started a conversation with me. I repeatedly gave one word answers to all her questions. Most would have stopped talking but she didnt. After about 10 mins of her trying to get me to talk rather than stare in depression at the floor, she was called into the doctor's office.

Ummm…yeah. After that bit of information, he told me (and the rest of his matches) that he was “very physically attractive” and cultured. He wanted someone who was also physically attractive (IMO, there’s nothing wrong with that but I would NEVER put that in my profile). He went on to say that his ideal “wife” would be someone like a Country western singer. What, like the ‘stand by your man’ type of woman? No, he explains someone “very beautiful” but not caught up in the “ritz and the glamour”(PS: I think he meant glitz).
So if anyone considers joining any dating website, remember this cautionary tale. Sometimes it can go really, really wrong!

No comments: